Home Skincare Have Acne? Here are Foods that are Good for Your Skin and...

Have Acne? Here are Foods that are Good for Your Skin and Lessen the Breakouts

935
0
SHARE

Healthy, low-fat and whole foods eaten year-round can lower the risk of acne outbreaks. There are some acne-fighting foods, however, that are especially helpful. They work by controlling the spike in blood sugar, which adds to the production of skin oils that clog the hair follicles making pimples.

According to dermatologist Ellen Marmur, M.D, “Food is only about 25% of the picture when it comes to acne causes. The other 75% is influenced by hormones, stress, sleep levels, and where you live…so there are no superfoods when it comes to acne prevention” This does not mean that a healthy diet cannot contain foods that are good for your acne.

Foods to Avoid If You Have Acne

Acne-Fighting and Skin-Cleansing Foods

1) Fatty fishes contain essential fatty acids (Omega 3 and 6 oils). They reduce inflammation in the body that can create clogged pores. The types of fish include salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring. Lowering inflammation is beneficial to the whole body.

2) Nuts are high in Omega oils as well. They also contain the following: selenium, copper, magnesium, manganese, vitamin E, calcium and iron, all of which are necessary for healthy skin.

3) Avocados also reduce inflammation and contain healthy oils and vitamins E and C. Vitamin C is found in oranges,lemons, grapefruits and tomatoes, while sweet potatoes, olive oil, broccoli, leafy greens and more are sources of Vitamin E.

4) Brown rice helps to regulate hormone levels. It also contains B vitamins and acts as the skin’s stress reliever. Stress is a major contributor to acne.

5) The mineral zinc is lower in acne sufferers than in non-sufferers. Zinc creates the setting for fighting the growth of the bacteria that creates an outbreak. It is found in turkey, almonds, Brazil nuts and wheat germ, to name a few.

6) Drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water a day is crucial for keeping the skin healthy. It helps to keep the skin metabolism balanced and also aids in the regeneration of cells.

Foods to Avoid if you Have Acne

According to the Mayo Clinic,,many carbohydrate-rich foods have been targeted as bad for acne sufferers. Included are white bread, bagels, chips, white pasta, cookies, potatoes, sugary drinks, and junk food in general. Greasy foods are not a problem, unless you work in a kitchen and get them on your skin.

Sorry, but a recent study has shown the possibility of chocolate encouraging outbreaks.

Milk and other dairy products may cause flare-ups. One suggestion is to avoid dairy for a month to see what happens, but calcium must be added from other sources.

Lifestyle Changes to Deal with Acne

High-stress lifestyles are a very important cause of acne eruptions. The stress hormones run riot creating oily skin. The stress can be physical or psychological.

Some stress is always going to pop up, but making an effort to find more peace will pay off with your skin. Getting enough sleep is important for stress control and general health. Exercise also lowers stress.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here